Family preventing their daughter from traveling with her husband

Q: I am a married man and my wife and family live in the Southern Region. I work abroad and return to them after long periods of time. Am I sinful for this? I want my wife to live with me where I work but her parents refuse. What is the ruling of Shari`ah (Islamic law) on this? Who bears the sin in this case? We have a custom that when someone gets married, he writes a deed insuring that he will live near his in-laws, and this custom is widespread in the Southern Region and especially in Al-Qunfudhah.

A: If the reality is as you mentioned regarding your work conditions, your wife, and your in-laws, there is no sin on you. Your duty is to explain your work conditions to your in-laws, show them your need to have your wife with you, and assure them that she will be safe and honored, hoping that they may allow her to travel with you. May Allah make things easy for you. (Part No. 19; Page No. 347) May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.