Providing for an emancipated slave's son by his father or the one who emancipated his father

Q 2: I was a slave in the past and I married an emancipated woman. My wife gave birth to a baby who is now a grown-up, but he is disobedient to me and does not support me. Also, he refuses to enter my house and his mother died. What (Part No. 16; Page No. 582) should I do? Who is obliged to financially support that son; the man who emancipated his mother or me? Kindly give me your Fatwa that determines my relationship with that son. May Allah reward you the best.

A: If the reality is as you described, you are advised to endure and be patient with your son, and to enjoin him to do what is good and forbid him from doing what is bad so that Allah may guide him and cause him to obey you. The issue of supporting him financially can be determined by the court. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.