Man asking for his daughter's divorce as the husband is a drunkard

Q 1: A man gave his daughter in marriage to a man whom he did not know well, then found out that his son-in-law is a drunkard who does not care about Islamic rulings. Can he divorce his daughter from him?

A: If the situation is as you have mentioned, that you gave your daughter in marriage to a man whom you did not know well, and then you discovered that he is a drunkard and does not care about Islamic rulings, this man is either one of two things: he either does not believe in the rulings of Islam, and in this case he is considered a Kafir (disbeliever), and his marriage contract to his wife is annulled by his Kufr (disbelief) through the legal ruler, or he does not follow the rulings out of negligence, while believing in them. In this second case, he is considered a Fasiq (someone flagrantly violating Islamic law), but not rendered out of the fold of Islam. However, Fisq (flagrant violation of Islamic law) is considered a defect acknowledged in Shari`ah (Islamic law) that gives a woman the right to claim dissolving the marriage if her husband is proven to have it and insists on it. This is also done through the legal ruler. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.