Husband paying his wife money equal to the gold he took from her

Q: I am married and I have children. I have a son and a daughter from my ex-wife. Three years ago, I faced financial difficulties. I took and sold the gold jewelry of my wife to run a business, but it was not successful. I now owe her the value of this jewelry. I cannot afford to pay for the jewelry because the price of gold has increased six or seven times and my financial position has got worse. May I register part of my own house in her name to compensate her for what I owe her? Having an IOU, she has begun to demand her right to the jewelry. Please tell me the lawful solution for this issue. (Part No. 19; Page No. 258) I want to discharge the obligation; and I fear that her family may claim for her jewelry. Please guide me, may Allah safeguard you for Islam.

A: You either have to repay the debt in the form of gold by purchasing it with the money you receive from selling the part of the house you want to register in her name, or to estimate the price of the gold according to the price at the time you wrote the IOU and register a part of the house with this value in her name. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.