Having intercourse with his wife before making her unlawful for him

Q: I got married more than eight years ago and I have three children. One day I had a dispute with my wife so I deemed her unlawful to me like my mother until the following month. Then we reconciled with each other but I could not control myself and we had sexual intercourse before the expiry of the month. What is the Kaffarah (expiation) that I may offer for the foregoing? I am waiting your guidelines impatiently bearing in mind that I can not forsake my wife who is the mother of my three children. I am happy with my wife but I only deemed her unlawful to me for one month because my extreme anger compelled me to do so. May Allah reward you with the best.

A: If the reality is exactly as what you have mentioned, it will be Wajib (obligatory) on you, before you resume your marriage, to free a Muslim slave or, if you are unable to do so, to observe Sawm (Fast) for two successive months or, if you are unable to do so, (Part No. 20; Page No. 297) to feed sixty Miskins (needy people) by giving each Miskin (needy person) half a Sa` of the food of the country i.e. rice or the like bearing in mind that half a Sa` is about one kilo and half. The concerned person has to also make Tawbah (repentance to Allah) and Istighfar (seeking forgiveness from Allah). May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.