What is the ruling on marrying

Q: 18 years ago, I married a Shiite woman in Bahrain. I asked the judge of a court in the country about the permissibility of this marriage. He approved and concluded the contract of this marriage. We had children. (Part No. 18; Page No. 314) We lived a happy life for a long time. However, two years ago, some Shiite people from Al-Ahsa' who lived nearby began to influence my wife to perform some acts contrary to Islam. Among these actions was visiting Al-Najaf where they worship graves. I divorced her because she and one of her sons visited this place in my absence. Now, I wish to take this back so she can take care of the house and her children. Is it permissible for me to do so, or not?

A: If your wife adhered to Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jama`ah (adherents to the Sunnah and the Muslim mainstream) not to Shiites at the time of marriage, and remained as such for such a long time, she must perform Tawbah (repentance to Allah) and ask Allah's forgiveness for ignorantly visiting the graves. If she abandoned adhering to Ahl-ul-Sunnah wal-Jama`ah and adhered to Shiites, it is impermissible to continue the relationship. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings of Allah be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!