Delaying a part of Mahr

Q 2: I got engaged to a young woman, and our engagement lasted for a long time, but I cannot marry her due to financial reasons. Can I break this engagement? Given that if I do this, it is very difficult for her to remarry, according to our customs in Sudan. What should I do?

A: If the situation is as you mentioned, you should explain the situation to her father. He might agree to wait for another period of time or agree to take a small amount of Mahr (mandatory gift to a bride from her groom) from you and delay the rest of it to a later time. If all this is not possible, you can leave her, according to Allah's saying (Exalted be He), Allâh burdens not a person beyond his scope. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.