The Prophet''s marriage to `A''ishah

Q 1: The father of a Muslim sister who is committed to her religion wanted to give her in marriage to his nephew as he is wealthy. The sister refused because he does not perform Salah (Prayer) and drinks alcoholic beverages. On informing her father about her refusal, he gave her a terrifying threat. She then left the house as her marriage to such person could be null and void and came to me asking for help. Should I refuse to help her anyway? What is the ruling on her leaving the house?

(Part No. 18; Page No. 126)  A: It is impermissible for her father to give her in marriage to someone she does not like. Moreover, she may not expose herself to dangers by leaving her father's house. Rather, she may seek the help of some Mahrams (unmarriageable relatives) to save her. However, if they avail nothing, she may bring suit to the court to release her from this situation. Furthermore, you may help her in such a manner as to protect her honor and save her from marrying a person she does not like even through giving advice and guidance. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.