Swearing to kill or cut off relations with a relative after a fight

Q: A disagreement took place between me and my brother-in-law. He accused me of not being jealous on my sister, his wife. When I heard this from people who told me, I got angry at him and swore by divorce that I will either shoot him in the head or never speak to him or visit him again. We cut ties with each other for two years, during which we did not greet each other. Then, people tried to reconcile between us, but I swore by Allah many times that I would never reconcile with him. My paternal uncle and his son came and asked me to reconcile with him, so I agreed, provided that I make a Fatwa request concerning the divorce that took place and the oath made. Please advise, may Allah reward you and grant you success forever.

A: If the situation is as you have mentioned, you should pay Kaffarah (expiation) for breaking your oath, which is feeding ten needy people average kinds of food, clothing them, or emancipating a believing slave. If you cannot do either, you should observe Sawm (fasting) for three days. You should pay another Kaffarah for swearing by divorce if your intention was to cut ties with him, (Part No. 23; Page No. 147) not divorce your wife. However, if your intention was to divorce her, the divorce takes place once. You may return to her as long as she is still in her `Iddah (woman's prescribed waiting period after divorce or widowhood), unless you have divorced her twice before.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.