Husband declaring his wife unlawful for him if he took a piece of land from his father

Q: My father wanted to grant me and my brothers land from his ranch, but I said, "I declare my wife unlawful for me if I take anything of my father's property while he is (Part No. 20; Page No. 184) still alive." However, he insisted on his opinion. I want to secure my children's future, and I did not intend divorce at all; I only intended to make it clear that I would not take anything.

A: If the situation is as you have mentioned, that you intended to make it clear that you will not take anything, not to divorce your wife, you have to pay Kaffarah (expiation) for an oath if you take that land, which is feeding ten needy people, clothing them, or emancipating a believing slave. If you cannot do either, you have to observe Sawm (fasting) for three days. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.