Granting Khul` for more than what has been paid

Q: A person married a woman and gave her 7000 riyals as her mahr (mandatory gift to a bride from her groom). Later, she did not want to remain as his wife. Therefore, her cousin went to the man and suggested that she would give him back his mahr in return for granting her Talaq (divorce pronounced by a husband). Yet the husband demanded another 3000 riyals and is asking now if this addition is permissible for him.

A: There is no problem, in our opinion, if the husband takes an addition to the Mahr he paid in return for granting his wife Talaq, since it appears from the question that she is the one who is not pleased with him as a husband and is asking for Khul` (divorce at the request of the wife in return for compensation to the husband). May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.