Payment of debts

Q 2: A Yemeni man had a shop near my house, and I used to buy things from him on credit. I paid my debt, but there is forty Riyals I still owe him. He moved, and I do not know his address or the address of any of his relatives. What should I do with this money?

A: This sum of money is a debt you owe. As the people of Yemen frequent Saudi Arabia a lot, you might meet this man one day. If you lose hope in meeting him or knowing his address, you should pay this sum of money as a Sadaqah (voluntary charity) on his behalf. If he appears later, you should tell him about it. If he accepts it, it will be fine. Otherwise, you should give him the money and the reward will be yours. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.