Executing the Hadd of Zina in a foreign country

Q 4: There is a Muslim man who lives in Ghana which is a Christian country that does not abide by the rulings of Islam. That man committed Zina (adultery). Thus, he deserved Hadd (ordained punishment for violating Allah’s Law). He asked the Muslims who live there to apply the ruling of Shari`ah (Islamic law) to him. However, the government there prohibits ruling according to any law other than Christian laws. What is the ruling on that person? Has he thus expiated his sin or not? He exposed himself to punishment. However, he was denied it.

A: If a person commits Zina, they should perform sincere Tawbah (repentance to Allah) and conceal themselves if Allah conceals them, (Part No. 22; Page No. 7) not ask for the Hadd to be applied to them. It is only a Muslim governor, or his deputies, who can apply Hudud. It is impermissible for the Muslims to undertake this job, as it leads to anarchy and tribulations.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.