Declaring smoking unlawful to him like marrying his mother and then smoking again

Q: I am a young man who once said a statement without knowing its consequences. When I started to smoke, I had a strong desire to give this habit up, so I swore that smoking would be forbidden for me as it is unlawful for me to marry my mother. However, I returned to smoking. I then repented what I did and whenever I remember these words, I feel great regret. What should I do? Please advise, may Allah reward you with the best!

A: As you prohibited smoking likening it to marrying your mother and then broke your oath by returning to smoking, you have to offer Kaffarah (expiation) for an oath. The Kaffarah involves feeding ten Miskins (needy persons), or providing them with clothing, or emancipating a believing slave. If none of these is affordable, you must observe Sawm (Fast) for three days.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.