A wife swearing and declaring that entering the house of her deceased husband is unlawful for her

Q 3: My father died and left behind a house where I lived with my mother and brothers. After marriage, my brothers and I built new houses beside the main one to be the house of our mother as a sort of honor and respect for her. (Part No. 23; Page No. 177) Also we did not want to disturb her by problems and noise of the children. My mother got angry one day and made entering this house forbidden to her. She swore that she would not enter the house of our father that we left for her. After returning home, we found her in great regret and sorrow for what she said. Accordingly, we brought her belongings out of the house and kept them in one of our houses to comfort her and not to leave her confused. What should be done if she wants to return to my father's house?Should she offer a Kaffarah (expiation)? What is its amount? Please, advise. May Allah reward you with the best!

A: It is obligatory on your mother to offer a Kaffarah for breaking an oath if she wants to enter the house in question. The Kaffarah is feeding or clothing ten Miskins (needy people) or freeing a believing slave. If she cannot afford any of these alternatives, she must observe fasting for three days. Allah (Exalted be He) says, O Prophet! Why do you forbid (for yourself) that which Allâh has allowed to you, seeking to please your wives? And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Allâh has already ordained for you (O men) the absolution from your oaths. Thus, (Part No. 23; Page No. 178) prohibiting entering the house by your mother takes the same ruling of an oath.May Allah grant us success. May blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and Companions!