A son returning the excess expenditure to the father

Q: My father has divorced my mother a long time ago and he has been living with a second wife since then. I have, thus, become responsible for my mother and the house. My two brothers are busy with their work. Although I am still studying, I have been responsible to provide for all the needs of the house. My father has a shop and he has permitted me (Part No. 21; Page No. 175) to take money from it to meet the needs of the house. With the passing of time, I have managed to save some money with which I have bought a piece of land for myself without my father's knowledge. He would be sad if I tell him about this. I regret having done this. I am not sure if this is Haram (prohibited) or not, because he has given me a free hand to take whatever I want to provide for the expenses of the house. He even refuses to know how much money I take for that purpose. I feel sorry for having bought the land without his knowledge. Have I deceived my father and misused his confidence? Please answer my question! May Allah grant you success!

A: You have to return the money you have saved and the land you have bought to your father, since you have taken that money for the sole purpose of meeting the needs of the house. Your father has given you permission to take enough money just to meet the requirements of the house. The excess money you have saved, and from which you have paid for the value of the land, are not included in the permission your father has given, so it is unlawful for you to take it.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.