A man''s elderly mother who lives with him

Q: My brother-in-law, who is eighty years old, has suffered from right hemiplegia since he was a small child. (Part No. 11; Page No. 86) He cannot walk properly and does not have any income, except social insurance. He wants to perform the obligatory duty of Hajj, but he cannot get into a car. Is it permissible for him to give money to someone else to perform Hajj on his behalf as others do and how can we do this? Please advise us and may Allah reward you with the best!

A: If the reality of your brother-in-law’s disability is as you mentioned, and that he has sufficient funds from what is given to him by the social insurance, Sadaqah (voluntary charity), and other financial assistance, to cover the expenses needed to perform Hajj and ‘Umrah (lesser pilgrimage) on his behalf, it is obligatory on him to pay from that money the amount that the proxy will need to perform Hajj and ‘Umrah on his behalf. This is because if he is unable to perform the obligatory Hajj and ‘Umrah by himself, he is able to nominate a proxy to perform them on his behalf with his own money.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.