Taking from government property for personal use

Q 3: When I was in the armed forces, I took a woolen coat given to me by my military unit and sent it to my father in 1393 A.H., bearing in mind that it is of the consumable expenditures. I took it without the permission of the official in charge of expenditures. What should I do? I hope Your Honor will guide me to the good!

A 3: You should return a coat like the one you took or pay its value to (Part No. 23; Page No. 430) the authority concerned. If you cannot, you should give its value in charity to a poor person.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.