Ruling on someone who hit a biker with his car and then fled

Q 1: I was driving along a freeway which was under reconstruction. There was a person driving a motorbike. Unintentionally, I hit the back of the motorbike. I did not stop to see what happened. Some of my cousins were with me in the car and advised me to stop, but I did not respond to their request. Please note that this accident happened more than eight years ago. What is your advice to me? May Allah reward you with the best!

A: You should go to the traffic police and report the accident in order to search for the person you hit to know if he is still alive or to search for his heirs if he is dead. You should then pay the Diyah (blood money) set for such an accident unless you are pardoned by this person or his heirs.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.