However, my mother intentionally

Q: My uncle asked for my daughter in marriage to his son and I gave him my consent, for I was satisfied with the faith and good conduct of his son. My older brother became upset and swore that if this took place, he would cut off giving me Salam (Islamic greeting of peace) forever. He has already done so. Kindly guide me as to what I should do with him. May Allah reward you best for Islam and the Muslims!

A: You have every right to give your daughter in marriage to your cousin on account of his religion and good character. However, you should speak and deal kindly with your brother who opposes the marriage. (Part No. 23; Page No. 100) Your brother should break his oath by greeting you; and make Kaffarah (expiation) for breaking the oath which is to feed ten needy people, clothe them, or manumit a believing slave. If he cannot make any of these, he should fast for three days.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.