Ruling on doing business with Zakah money

Q: I am an Egyptian woman working as a teacher in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. My husband died and left me with a son who is at university in Egypt, and a daughter who is in her first year of high school. While in Saudi Arabia, I put aside some money to be used for raising my children. I was forced to resign from my job in Egypt in order to continue working in Saudi Arabia. However, now since I have no Mahram (spouse or permanently unmarriageable relative) in Saudi Arabia, I will have to return to Egypt at the end of this year. Thus, I will lose my source of income that I depend on to provide for my children and I will be forced to provide for my family from my savings. My question is: Is it permissible for me to forgo paying Zakah on the money I saved to raise my children, (Part No. 9; Page No. 405) who have no breadwinner other than me?

A: You must pay Zakah on the money you have if it reaches the Nisab (the minimum amount on which Zakah is due) after the passing of one lunar year. The circumstances that you have mentioned are not an excuse for not paying Zakah.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.