Advising the sister who is Mutabarrijah

Q 2: My sister is Mutabarrijah (a woman who dresses immodestly in violation of the Islamic dress code) and she is staying with me in Alexandria, Egypt. My father lives in another town, but she is staying with me so she can study at the university. I told my father that he should make her wear Hijab (veil) and make her stay at home while she is studying in the faculty of literature and sociology. (Part No. 17; Page No. 188) I have advised my sister of this many times, but she does not respond. She now lives with me in our house in Alexandria and our father is not with us. Should I force her to adhere to the Hijab that was ordained by Allah (Exalted be He) or to force her to go back to the town where my parents live, or should I leave the house and live in another town? If I do this it could lead to many bad consequences, because she does not have another Mahram (unmarriageable male relatives) than me. I have tried to force her, but my father objected by saying, “Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) is the only One Who guides whom He wants and guidance is from Him alone.” Please advise me in this matter, may Allah be merciful to you! I have disassociated myself from her before, and did not talk to her or eat with her, but still she did not respond.

A: All we can advise you to do is to continue advising her and warning her of the evil consequences of Tabarruj (woman’s public display of her adornment or charms). You should also try to get her married, after your father’s agreement for you to be delegated to do that. May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.